October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Looking for a recommendation

More
27 Nov 2019 13:36 #304609 by barrowdown
Hey all, I am looking for a game recommendation of something to play with my spouse. She said she is looking for something "fun" and by that she means light, humorous, and random enough to not need to have a rigid long-term strategy. Ideally, she wants a party game, but party games do not usually work with that small of a number. We have been really enjoying the various mystery/escape games. She said she is becoming demoralized playing 2-player competitive games with me as I win the majority of the time. She tends to be much more competitive once there are additional players, so its probably that I optimize board games in a 1-on-1 situation better than she does. She is better at reading interpersonal dynamics than I am so adding additional players evens out the playing field between us.

I think adventure games would fit in here somewhat, but as I mentioned in the games played thread, something like Dungeon Degenerates where you are generally bad people doing bad things is not her ideal theme. I think co-ops would also be a good choice, but I would prefer something a bit more solid than something like Pandemic. Narrative is generally a big thing for her as long as the mechanics that create that are not a chrome-filled mess.

We use to own Talisman, but I sold that off when it was going for high prices. Is that what I should be getting?

How is Mansions of Madness, 2nd edition?

I realize it is probably heavier than described above, but is Spirit Island a good choice?

Fog of Love?

Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2019 14:11 #304610 by Shellhead
Camp Grizzly is a fun co-op game. The Disney-like artwork offsets the dark subject matter, and it delivers a great sense of narrative. Just be sure to play with two characters each. Everybody that I have played with has enjoyed the game, even people who don't normally play anything heavier than Cards Against Humanity.

Room 25 works well in co-op mode, and offers a lethal puzzle to solve together.

Escape for 1,000,000 B.C. is a good co-op game with a distinctive theme. It's got a lot of pieces, but the rules are pretty clean and the game play is mostly intuitive. Strong sense of narrative.

Saltlands is a challenging game and maybe slightly harder in full co-op mode. The rules are not difficult, but just novel enough to resist easy learning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: barrowdown

More
27 Nov 2019 14:15 #304611 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Looking for a recommendation
Have you tried Wiz-War?

More
27 Nov 2019 14:17 #304612 by hotseatgames
Room 25 also has an escape room expansion that features 10 different puzzles. I don't think you can really repeat them.

I'd think adventure games sound like a good fit, perhaps Eldritch Horror, or Runebound 3rd edition.

Brook City or Street Masters might also work.

More
27 Nov 2019 14:19 #304613 by barrowdown

quozl wrote: Have you tried Wiz-War?

We do have FFG's version. I will suggest that next time.

More
27 Nov 2019 15:15 #304617 by RobertB
Pandemic Legacy: S1 is a little tougher than plain vanilla Pandemic, and is more fun.

More
27 Nov 2019 15:15 #304619 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Looking for a recommendation
Legendary Encounters
Firefly
Hellboy

More
27 Nov 2019 15:18 #304620 by barrowdown

RobertB wrote: Pandemic Legacy: S1 is a little tougher than plain vanilla Pandemic, and is more fun.

We have a mostly finished campaign of this still, but its been a while since we played. Maybe we can finish it off. I will make that suggestion.

More
27 Nov 2019 15:39 #304621 by Gregarius
Mice & Mystics is a light dungeon crawler co-op with strong narrative and a much lighter theme.

Codenames: Duet works pretty well, if you like the base game.

I really like Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective, but I realize that it's a lot more reading-heavy than some people care for.

I haven't tried any of the Exit or Escape Room games, but I know they're very popular.

More
27 Nov 2019 15:39 - 27 Nov 2019 15:40 #304622 by charlest
Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition would certainly fit. I really enjoy it although the heavy leaning on the app is off putting for some. It's also very long (2-3 hours), although it's not obtuse or heavy.

I don't think Wiz-War is good with two as the draw is the zaniness and there's simply less of that with less actions and agency overlapping.

Codenames Duet may be worth a look. Mansiona of Madness 2e though may be your best bet.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2019 15:40 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, barrowdown

More
27 Nov 2019 15:50 #304623 by barrowdown

Gregarius wrote: Mice & Mystics is a light dungeon crawler co-op with strong narrative and a much lighter theme.

Codenames: Duet works pretty well, if you like the base game.

I really like Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective, but I realize that it's a lot more reading-heavy than some people care for.

I haven't tried any of the Exit or Escape Room games, but I know they're very popular.

We have SH:CD The Thames Murders and have played through 5-6 of the cases and all of the Exit and Unlock! games that have been released in the US. We played through the first box of Escape Room: The Game cases, but really did not enjoy that one and have not looked at either of the follow-ups.

We do like Codenames, so maybe we will check out Duet. Mice and Mystics could be interesting.

More
27 Nov 2019 16:19 #304625 by cdennett
I'll also put in a recommendation for Codenames: Duet from a couple that doesn't really like the base game.

When my wife wants to play a "fun" game, she wants something light and engaging (IE. low down time). I'm not sure many of the suggestions would qualify under her definition, so I guess I'm curious what a "fun" game is to her. But keep in mind my wife is the type that the phone comes out as soon as her turn is over in most traditional games.

I'm not sure how well it plays with 2, but Quirky Circuits absolutely captivated my wife at BGG.Con. Think of a co-op Roborally meets The Mind. I'll write more about it when I find time.

Struggle to suggest an adventure game, as my wife pretty much hates them all... Maybe Legacy of Dragonholt?

More
27 Nov 2019 16:24 #304627 by cdennett
Oh and if you're looking at Mice and Mystice, I'd also look a Stuffed Fables. I think its systems are better then M&M, but not sure if the theme will be compelling or not. Not a strong recommendation, but gives you a number of scenarios to play through.

More
27 Nov 2019 16:32 #304628 by barrowdown

cdennett wrote: I'll also put in a recommendation for Codenames: Duet from a couple that doesn't really like the base game.

When my wife wants to play a "fun" game, she wants something light and engaging (IE. low down time). I'm not sure many of the suggestions would qualify under her definition, so I guess I'm curious what a "fun" game is to her. But keep in mind my wife is the type that the phone comes out as soon as her turn is over in most traditional games.

I'm not sure how well it plays with 2, but Quirky Circuits absolutely captivated my wife at BGG.Con. Think of a co-op Roborally meets The Mind. I'll write more about it when I find time.

Struggle to suggest an adventure game, as my wife pretty much hates them all... Maybe Legacy of Dragonholt?

Quirky Circuits sounds like something that would be perfect, but might just fall into the family game type where we can have the mini-human play too. I see one of FLGS has it in-stock (at least at the one that has online inventory), I might need to pick this up.

I think there are two different "funs" that she is looking for. One is the wacky, laugh out loud style of a well-done party or take-that game. The other is the more narrative focused, entertaining romp a good adventure game provides, but with less combat focus or combat complexity than something like Gloomhaven. I think the puzzle/escape games kind of slot into the second group as they generally have a whole-picture scenario or narrative worked out instead of completely random setup.

More
27 Nov 2019 16:33 #304629 by barrowdown

cdennett wrote: Oh and if you're looking at Mice and Mystice, I'd also look a Stuffed Fables. I think its systems are better then M&M, but not sure if the theme will be compelling or not. Not a strong recommendation, but gives you a number of scenarios to play through.

I have this, but it has been a long while since we tried it. I might need to bring this back out and start from the beginning.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.851 seconds