October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Spiel des Jahres nominees announced

More
18 May 2020 09:17 #310407 by engelstein
SdJ nominees announced today.

SdJ: My City (Knizia), Nova Luna (Rosenberg), and Pictures (Stohr)

Kennerspiel (more advanced games): Cartographers (Adan), The Crew (Sing), and The King's Dilemma (Hach and Silva)

Kinderspiel (children's games): Hedgehog Roll (Sulinskas), Foto Fish (Kallauch), and Wir sind die Roboter (Stauper)

FWIW first time since I can remember that I haven't played any of the nine. The Crew has been high on my list to try, once my game group is back up and running again. Also hear good things about Cartographers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2020 09:26 #310409 by hotseatgames
As usual, I am quite detached from all of this. I have *heard* of all of the kenner titles. Haven't played any of it.

More
18 May 2020 09:35 #310410 by Jackwraith

hotseatgames wrote: As usual, I am quite detached from all of this. I have *heard* of all of the kenner titles. Haven't played any of it.

Same. I've heard (i.e. read comments about on the Web) of the three Kennerspiel nominees, but haven't played any of them or seen them anywhere around here. I'm completely oblivious to the rest.

More
18 May 2020 09:35 #310411 by Vysetron
I think we're all officially out of the zeitgeist, folks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, dysjunct, Dr. Mabuse, jpat, Msample, themothman421, mezike, sornars, Nodens

More
18 May 2020 09:54 #310413 by mezike
The Crew I think is excellent, the kind of game you think will be a ten minute filler but you find yourself an hour later still saying 'one more round'. I like the idea of a trick taking game where you have to balance and plan as to whether or not and at what point you want to win a trick scrambled with some secretively unspoken co-operative co-ordination co-opted from The Mind.

I have some friends who were playing Kings Dilemma before lockdown and who were raving about it (a mix of family-style and Euro gamers so make of that what you will). I'm interested in trying it but worry that it is too gimmicky, will lose it's shine quickly and eventually end up in the trash. I believe that you need a solid group who want to play all the way through the long game which isn't easy to organise and from previous experience wouldn't work for us at home.

I know another couple of people who enjoy Roll Player but whose recommendations I wouldn't normally follow. I've played a few of these card-based drawing/routing games, they're generally okay. I'd play Cartographers if someone offered a seat at the table but wouldn't go looking for it.

I don't know any of the SdJ nominees, none of them look interesting to me, and my kids are too old for the Kinderspiel titles.

Surprised that Res Arcana didn't get out of recommendation and into nomination. I didn't personally care for it but it was very popular for a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, engelstein, Gregarius

More
18 May 2020 09:55 - 18 May 2020 10:02 #310414 by Ah_Pook
The Crew is just great. Really an incredibly good game. I have heard of Cartographers. That is all i can tell you about this list of games.

Edit: I guess My City is a legacy polymino game by Reiner Knizia, so that's on my list to look into whenever it comes it in English.
Last edit: 18 May 2020 10:02 by Ah_Pook.

More
18 May 2020 14:33 #310426 by christopherwood
I too am rather disconnected from thist stuff.

Kings Dilemma is the only one I know anything about. A friend described it extensively (with spoilers) and it's not really that much of a game-game, more of an interactive entertainment.

Every year I think Kennerspiel will point me to some new hypercomplex brain burner, but they never do.

More
18 May 2020 20:18 #310439 by Ah_Pook
I watched a video about My City and it's basically FITS Legacy, where you sticker up your board with new stuff as you go. I love FITS so I gotta say in pretty excited about that.

More
18 May 2020 20:42 #310440 by charlest
King's Dilemma really wowed me at first. I hope to finish our campaign but I have to say the excitement has abated a bit.

More
18 May 2020 23:39 #310448 by themothman421

Vysetron wrote: I think we're all officially out of the zeitgeist, folks.

Yup, couldn't tell you a single thing about any of those games.

After perusal of the 3 kennerspiel nominees, The Crew sounds kinda fun.

More
19 May 2020 10:20 #310455 by Matt Thrower
Seems like a really odd set of picks this year.

I disliked Nova Luna intensely. One of those abstract games that seems like all work and no fun.

Cartographers I liked a lot, but it's hardly complex and I don't really know why it's in the kenner and not the main prize.

I haven't played Kings Dilemma but it doesn't seem like the type of game that's typically nominated at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds