October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Games from the Cellar covers Heroscape this week

More
10 Apr 2023 12:56 #338950 by Sagrilarus
Give us a listen if you please. Good stuff this week.

gamesfromthecellar.com/episodes/heroscape
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jexik, SuperflyPete, birdman37, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2023 22:36 #338992 by Jexik
Hopefully will sometime soon.

Heroscape is so weird for me in that I absolutely loved it, but can't really see myself playing it anymore because of setup time and no one around to play it with really. It's the reason I'm still talking about board games now. Its the reason I'm on this site and not some other one. It's a nostalgic 10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra, Cappster_

More
08 Jun 2023 21:34 #339619 by Sagrilarus
The rights for Heroscape just got picked up by Renegade. Looks like another batter stepping up to the plate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
08 Jun 2023 22:56 - 08 Jun 2023 22:57 #339620 by Virabhadra
I read that as "Restoration" instead of "Renegade" and had a totally different take just now.

I listened to the podcast over the weekend. I'm not convinced that it's financially viable for anyone to reproduce something with the same physical size and sheer variety as Heroscape. That's kind of what happened with the last Kickstarter, isn't it?

Sure, everything is more expensive these days. I looked it up for work the other day and with inflation, and today's prices are 1.99 times what they were in 1995. But Heroscape had the dual advantages of being a good game that was easy to get a ton of stuff for on the cheap; my question is, if you could collect and play any skirmish-level minis game and price were no object, would you still choose Heroscape?
Last edit: 08 Jun 2023 22:57 by Virabhadra.

More
08 Jun 2023 23:45 #339622 by Cappster_
My hot take on the HasLabs Heroscape situation is this:

The product they were offering wasn't what people actually wanted. Sure, there are people out there that will grab anything Heroscape they can get their hands on, but Annihilation didn't seem to have the same spirit. It felt like an overproduced monstrosity designed to grab the Kickstarter Miniatures crowd, rather than service the devoted Heroscape crowd.

I can't articulate it any better than it just seemed... wrong?

I hope this iteration from Renegade feels more like Heroscape. If they just bought the rights to print Annihilation, I may have to pass again. And that will make me really, really, really sad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
08 Jun 2023 23:51 #339623 by Gary Sax
Controversial, I know, but I think y'all gotta give up on Heroscape. I think it is a game of its time, both econoimcally and mechanically, and you'll never recapture the content in that box or your feelings about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, mezike, sornars

More
09 Jun 2023 08:16 - 09 Jun 2023 12:53 #339625 by southernman

Virabhadra wrote: I read that as "Restoration" instead of "Renegade" and had a totally different take just now.

I listened to the podcast over the weekend. I'm not convinced that it's financially viable for anyone to reproduce something with the same physical size and sheer variety as Heroscape. That's kind of what happened with the last Kickstarter, isn't it?

Sure, everything is more expensive these days. I looked it up for work the other day and with inflation, and today's prices are 1.99 times what they were in 1995. But Heroscape had the dual advantages of being a good game that was easy to get a ton of stuff for on the cheap; my question is, if you could collect and play any skirmish-level minis game and price were no object, would you still choose Heroscape?

I don't think many of us (35-40+) are the main market .... younger people are still spending a hell of a lot of money on all types of stuff (card games, Warhammer, rpgs, comics) and I bet a lot of that is just on how it looks - just in the board game niche look at all the games with copious minis (of different tyles) still getting love.
If I didn't have a wall of massive kickstarter games to get thru I would be interested (... I may still be yet)
Last edit: 09 Jun 2023 12:53 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
09 Jun 2023 09:33 #339627 by Cappster_

Gary Sax wrote: Controversial, I know, but I think y'all gotta give up on Heroscape. I think it is a game of its time, both econoimcally and mechanically, and you'll never recapture the content in that box or your feelings about it.

Luckily, I have a large enough collection that I can easily pass on whatever Hasbro/Renegade offers up if it isn't something that interests me.

Not backing Annihilation oh Haslabs was actually a pretty easy decision.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
10 Jun 2023 20:42 #339639 by Sagrilarus

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds