October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Your Favorite Chrome Rules

More
21 Sep 2021 19:03 - 21 Sep 2021 19:06 #326693 by birdman37
How about a Chrome rule bolted on top of another Chrome rule?

Nearly all "Big Guy" player types in Blood Bowl have the "Throw Team Mate" chrome rule, which is (I kid you not) nearly a page of rule text JUST for attempting to lob one of your diminutive team players down the pitch.

So within the "Big Guy" sub-set, Troll players have the "Always Hungry" rule. If that Troll attempts to Throw a Team Mate, then there's a 1:36 chance that instead of even attempting to throw a Goblin, they simply eat them.

I have yet to see it happen, but when it does, I expect it will be the most memorable game of my life.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2021 19:06 by birdman37.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, themothman421, Jexik, hotseatgames, sornars, Erik Twice, n815e, Kmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2021 19:29 #326694 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Your Favorite Chrome Rules

Shellhead wrote:

n815e wrote: In the Firefly television show, there is a grifter character that goes by Saffron, Yolanda and Bridget.

In the game, these are three separate characters. If you have any one of them as a member of your crew and another player hires one of her alter-egos, she leaves your ship.

I haven't played enough Firefly to see that happen yet, but that is a neat chrome rule. I need to get Firefly on the table again sometime. I knew a couple that was really into Firefly and wanted to set up a big game, but they broke up early in the pandemic. He kept the game, but she is the one that I am still friends with, at least on Facebook.

I have!

I also like the "Captain has a tantrum" rule - can't remember the exact details, I think it's if your captain gets disgruntled they chuck all their crew off the ship.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
22 Sep 2021 09:13 #326696 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Your Favorite Chrome Rules

jpat wrote: I personally like the Memoir '44 paradrop rule, which has you physically drop a figure representing each unit. If a figure ends up off the board or in an impassible hex, the unit didn't make it. Otherwise, the units are built as usual where they land.

That’s a riff on a rule from BLACK SEA BLACK DEATH, an old Jack Radey hex and counter war game design where paradeops were resolved by dropping the counters from your hand a foot over the map.

More
22 Sep 2021 09:13 - 22 Sep 2021 09:14 #326697 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Your Favorite Chrome Rules
One of the most powerful Calamities in (Advanced) Civilization is the Civil War. It splits your civ in two and gives some of your cities and population to the current ‘losing’ player. However there is a rule that a player can join the game late as the splintered faction from the first Civil War that occurs. I’ve never seen it happen, as nowadays people arrange their whole day around it. Feels like a relic from before the days of cell phones.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2021 09:14 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, n815e

More
22 Sep 2021 09:33 #326698 by Whoshim
Replied by Whoshim on topic Your Favorite Chrome Rules
I forget the wargame, but the designer had an ancestor in the battle, and the ancestor was represented by a piece. The rules stated that, if the piece were removed, players needed to put the game away, as the designer would never have been born.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, hotseatgames, sornars, Gregarius, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
22 Sep 2021 10:17 #326700 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Your Favorite Chrome Rules
Isn't there a giant hex wargame that accounted for the Italian army's increased need for water due to the requirement to boil pasta? And that the same game had a mobile brothel unit?

And then there's this: West Side Story: the Wargame .

More
22 Sep 2021 10:37 #326701 by Sagrilarus

RobertB wrote: Isn't there a giant hex wargame that accounted for the Italian army's increased need for water due to the requirement to boil pasta? And that the same game had a mobile brothel unit?

Yeah there was . . . just a li-i-i-i-itle racist. On the long list of Richard Berg shortcomings this is about half way down the sheet.

More
22 Sep 2021 11:25 #326702 by Msample

RobertB wrote: Isn't there a giant hex wargame that accounted for the Italian army's increased need for water due to the requirement to boil pasta? And that the same game had a mobile brothel unit?

And then there's this: West Side Story: the Wargame .

CAMPAIGN FOR NORTH AFRICA. It even made an episode of THE BIG BANG THEORY.

Bergs games had more chrome than most. Another game, GRINGO, had a rule that covered an American commanders ineffectiveness due to him being laid up with a severe case of the trots during the battle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB, n815e

More
22 Sep 2021 13:25 #326703 by DarthJoJo
Does all of Decipher’s Star Wars CCG count? Every single element of the original trilogy had to be recreated. Nothing could be abstracted out. Here’s a rule for the Hoth energy shield, a rule for flying throughout asteroids, a rule for how you have to arrange locations on Tatooine because it wouldn’t make sense for Jabba’s palace to be right next to the Mos Eisley cantina. Lightsaber duels were different from your regular battles. There were even rules for laying mines, a weapon that never appeared in the movies and never in a tournament-level game either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Whoshim, n815e

More
22 Sep 2021 13:29 #326704 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Your Favorite Chrome Rules
That's a good one. Loved my Death Star deck which required about five steps and getting lucky with draws to destroy a planet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, n815e

More
22 Sep 2021 13:39 #326706 by Msample
One strength of card driven wargames from a design standpoint is that card text allows you to inject chrome into the game w/o having to make players delve into or remember rules for it - its right there on the card .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, birdman37, sornars, n815e

More
22 Sep 2021 14:29 #326707 by the_jake_1973

birdman37 wrote: How about a Chrome rule bolted on top of another Chrome rule?

Nearly all "Big Guy" player types in Blood Bowl have the "Throw Team Mate" chrome rule, which is (I kid you not) nearly a page of rule text JUST for attempting to lob one of your diminutive team players down the pitch.

So within the "Big Guy" sub-set, Troll players have the "Always Hungry" rule. If that Troll attempts to Throw a Team Mate, then there's a 1:36 chance that instead of even attempting to throw a Goblin, they simply eat them.

I have yet to see it happen, but when it does, I expect it will be the most memorable game of my life.

It will happen at the most uncomfortable time. I have been there a few times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37, n815e

More
22 Sep 2021 14:38 - 22 Sep 2021 22:34 #326708 by Shellhead
The Awful Green Things From Outer Space (Tom Wham) included a robot named Leadfoot who was on the crew side. Normally when the green things killed a crew member, one of the green things got a free growth effect. But when they killed Leadfoot, one of the green things would instead draw a random weapon effect chit to see how they handled digesting Leadfoot.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2021 22:34 by Shellhead. Reason: Tom Wham not Steve Jackson, though my copy was published by Steve Jackson

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds