October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Summoner Wars 2e!

More
14 Apr 2021 17:31 #322106 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Summoner Wars 2e!
I know everyone was just ragging on Tom Vasel, but if you're curious what it looks like when he REALLY likes a game, skip to the last couple minutes of this video.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. Bistro, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2021 14:54 #322205 by Jexik
Space Biff’s review is up now too.
spacebiff.com/2021/04/16/summoner-wars-2/

Aaand for now I’ll probably go be quiet again until they release the other 4 factions on the online version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Vysetron

More
29 Apr 2021 19:58 #322716 by Jexik
The digital beta is out now with all 6 master set factions. Runs on a browser if you subscribe. Let me know if any of you pick it up, maybe we can link up for a game. Pre-orders end on May 1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, ecargo, BillyBobThwarton

More
29 Apr 2021 23:33 #322718 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic Summoner Wars 2e!
I've played a couple of beta games now. Both were fairly easy wins (Polar Dwarves over Breakers and Fallen Kingdom over Vanguards) over the AI, but the interface felt decent on desktop. Tell you what, that new art looks awfully pretty at full screen. I have a soft spot for Ariosa's original art and its minimal ornamentation, but those colors are so pretty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
01 May 2021 11:04 #322773 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic Summoner Wars 2e!
Haven't gotten to play as much as I'd like to now that all the factions are up, but Fallen Kingdom absolutely slaps. The amount of building up they can do to an explosive board-wiping turn is absurd. They may end up not being amazing due to being a bit too reliant on said explosive turns, but I love playing them anyway.

More
02 May 2021 08:37 #322783 by Jexik
Joe recently said that the Fallen Kingdom are being played about twice as much as any other faction. Oddly enough, they’re the one faction I haven’t really played much yet. I played the demo a lot with Cave Goblins and Breakers. The CG are probably the most direct port from the original, but they still feel pretty new and fresh. I love how Tacullu (Breakers) can turn on the offensive- the deck isn’t nearly as passive as the old one.

Then I started picking up the Phoenix Elves and Tundra Orcs in testing, and added Polar Dwarves to my rotation since they just seemed so different and cool. Now I’ve been playing a lot of them, the Savanna Elves and a little bit of Vanguards on the app.

Savanna Elves can get some big combo turns too! You have to keep Abua Shi close, but yet at a safe distance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton, Vysetron

More
02 May 2021 14:10 #322792 by Vysetron
Helps that Abua hits like a mack truck from across the field.

I loved Tundra Orcs in 1e so I'm super excited to see how they came together here. Guessing you can't spill much on it but I don't mind waiting.

More
04 May 2021 18:39 #322862 by Jexik
Looks like you’ll get to see the TO sooner than expected!

boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/117678/phoeni...rcs-preview-incoming
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Vysetron

More
05 May 2021 14:44 #322884 by Vysetron
Took 'em for a spin just a moment ago, drew out a bot game to try out their cards. I like the focus on uncertain results from the units while using the summoner to guarantee(ish) results. Not being The Wall Faction in favor of sheer aggression is welcome.

Then I played another and won turn 1 against a Sneeks who got overconfident. My boys are back in town and I love them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
06 May 2021 20:24 #322921 by DarthJoJo
Took Phoenix Elves and Tundra Orcs for a match each, too. I like the coke-tinged eyes the Orc commons all picked up, but no faction beside Fallen Kingdom has profited from the new art as much as the Elves. They look sly and haughty and everything. They’re great, and Elien is nowhere to be seen.

Not so sure about playing the factions, yet. They still have their incredibly bland themes of roll-less damage and high-risk rolls, but they’ve been tweaked to a more interesting place. Favorite card is probably Orcs’ Primal Fury that encourages a headfirst summoner style that can be built into Cave Goblins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 May 2021 10:59 #323369 by DarthJoJo
Been playing a lot of Cave Goblins lately and having a complete blast. They survived pretty intact from 1e with most of the tweaking coming not to their abilities but their numbers to fit the new system. It feels so good to fart out swarms of units with zero planning ahead and surround the enemy’s walls. Doesn’t matter how much magic you build from my bodies if you have nowhere to summon them.

Should probably try to play an actual person next.

More
27 May 2021 18:29 #323517 by Jexik
This guy makes me feel like I know nothing about FK, the faction I've played the least-
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
16 Sep 2021 09:57 #326550 by Jexik
PHG is running an online tourney concurrent with GenCon. I went 4-0 in my pool in the first round. All factions are free for like a week, whether or not you’re in the event.

More
06 May 2022 10:12 #332845 by Jexik
Physical copies of Cloaks and Skyspear Avians came to subscribers this week, and the online version has had them for a couple weeks. Super fun, swarms, aggressive, both of them. Cloaks feel very much like their old selves, but more powerful than Vlox was relative to the rest of the field.

There was another massive (108) person tourney which is soon gonna be down to its final 12 competitors. Again, I made it to the second round, but will not pass to the 3rd.

More
06 May 2022 10:57 #332849 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Summoner Wars 2e!
I think I was one of the first critics that really got into the original game…I remember emailing Colby directly and asking for a review copy lol.

They sent me a Master Set week and an online code a couple of weeks ago and I’ve really loved getting back into the game- it’s still awesome, and it totally holds its own against newer 2p battle games.

The online game is really well done, I’ve only played AI but it’s a great way to check it out. I may dip into PVP today if work is slow.

Savanna Elves are my folks…I hope they bring back the goat people, I loved them.

Went so far as to sign up for the subscription service, I love that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds