October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
10 Jun 2019 18:36 #298212 by quozl
I never understood the appeal of History of the World. It's just Risk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2019 08:14 - 11 Jun 2019 08:14 #298226 by Legomancer
On a more serious note, SpaceCorp presents itself as a sort of Eklundless High Frontier, which was definitely the appeal to me, but ultimately is more like a straight up Euro with a lot of "welp, you flipped a bad card/token, sucks for you" in. If it played in 2 hours it might be better, but it doesn't, and the final act of it is particularly egregious with the randomness. So ultimately, it's fine, but for the price and time it needs to be more than just fine.

Like the 2 hour civ game, the Eklundless HF game seems like a grail that's still just out of reach for a lot of people.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2019 08:14 by Legomancer.

More
11 Jun 2019 08:39 - 11 Jun 2019 08:40 #298229 by Sagrilarus

quozl wrote: One thing I do to resist purchases is wait a year after it comes out before purchasing. By then, you should be able to know if it will be a shelf toad or not.

I'm trying to make a guess as to the average age of games when I purchase them. I'm buying almost all used now (he says after recently buying SpaceCorp and Talon 1000 new) and I'd wager it's four or five years. If a game's reception hasn't shaken out by then I don't know when it will.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2019 08:40 by Sagrilarus.

More
11 Jun 2019 10:19 - 11 Jun 2019 10:19 #298235 by Gary Sax
To the topic at hand, I'm currently resisting the latest Roll for the Galaxy expansion for financial reasons.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2019 10:19 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
11 Jun 2019 21:37 #298254 by WadeMonnig
Cuthulu wars third wave hit miniature market... so, resisting pretty much everything in that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

More
13 Jun 2019 09:15 - 13 Jun 2019 10:19 #298338 by Ah_Pook
@Gary Sax

www.coolstuffinc.com/p/272209

Roll For The Galaxy Ambition Rivalry is on sale for $40 at CSI currently. I have to imagine that's not the bottom for the price drops on this one but it's still a good place to jump in if you want it

Edit: name fix!
Last edit: 13 Jun 2019 10:19 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Jun 2019 09:47 #298344 by Legomancer

Ah_Pook wrote: @Gary Sax

www.coolstuffinc.com/p/272209

Roll For The Galaxy Ambition on sale for $40 at CSI currently. I have to imagine that's not the bottom for the price drops on this one but it's still a good place to jump in if you want it

I don't know if this will help someone resist or not, but Ambition helped me get rid of Roll, because it finally pushed the whole thing over the edge of there being no point to the fact that this is a dice game. Far too many ways to ignore the randomness and management of the dice were added. But if that doesn't bother you, no problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
13 Jun 2019 10:18 #298345 by Ah_Pook
Hopefully this was self evident, but the new Rivalry expansion (the $80 one) is the one on sale there not Ambition. Mixed up the names.

More
13 Jun 2019 10:22 #298346 by Gary Sax
Yeah, that's how I took it. I have ambition and really like it, though I take Legomancer's point esp vis a vis the multiface dice.

More
13 Jun 2019 14:12 #298354 by ubarose
Wacky Races. It's not gotten good reivews, but still I kind of want it. I figure if I wait long enough it has a good chance of being in the clearance bin in a few months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, allismom3, jpat

More
13 Jun 2019 14:54 #298361 by Michael Barnes
I’d say wait a couple of weeks and then start checking TJ Maxx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
13 Jun 2019 16:15 #298367 by southernman
I have made an important discovery (or epiphany ?) in late-ish life.
Resistance is FUTILE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
19 Jun 2019 23:46 #298660 by marcnelsonjr
RESISTING: Shards of Infinity
WHY RESIST: I have 10 other deckbuilders with 50 other expansions, so do I really need another one? Plus, the Steam version is nice and I can even play hotseat with my kids.
WHY GIVE IN: I love the "you win" card. And it's only $27 for the base and the expansion!

RESISTING: Wildlands
WHY RESIST: It seems to be in kind of a halfway zone. On the one hand, I could just play Epic Duels. On the other, I could use that time and paint minis and build terrain for Frostgrave.
WHY GIVE IN: It's a board skirmish game not tied to a particular IP. The reactions and the terrain system seem really interesting.

More
20 Jun 2019 00:04 #298661 by Michael Barnes
Man, just stick with Frostgrave...I went through the same resistance a couple of months ago...instead of picking it up. I decided to play through some of the scenarios and expansion stuff instead of getting Wildlands and it just reinvigorated my interest in it. The Wizard’s Conclave scenario book is great- and way cheaper than Wildlands and it’s expansions.

Shards, it’s on IOS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: marcnelsonjr

More
20 Jun 2019 07:51 #298669 by drewcula
Specific resistance is at the bottom.

I crossed a milestone at Origins last week.
I only bought one game.
I SOLD four.

Every year, there's a Math Trade. For the past several years, organizers have added a "flea market." Figure it out through BGG, and make the physical transaction in the flesh.
For $20, I bought some fella's POD / DIY copy of the fan made 'The Thing.' Up to six players recreate John Carpenter's The Thing. In card play! $20 was worth it to me; worth not having hassle of a nice print job and sleeving.
I sold a lot of the plastic crack miniature boxes overwhelming my house. Deep Madness, Massive Darkness, Zombicide: Black Plague, and Zombicide: BP Green Horde.

I swear, I've turned a new leaf. After years of admiring Jeff White's lean and mean "collection," to Michael Barnes hard core "play 'em and pass 'em" mentality - I'm finally starting to get rid of my STUFF. It's a little step, but it's a step. My next step is my FLGS's annual used board game sale. I have more to unload.

###

What did I specifically resist at Origins? I didn't buy anything from TTCombat. They market a wacky wrestling game called "Rumbleslam." I only own one team, and I vowed not to buy or paint anymore unless I played the game with the friends that encouraged me to go-in.

So I went in. I bought a team in March at Adepticon, after playing a game with a borrowed team . It was interesting. Interesting enough to take a baby step. So I bought a squad of hyper sexualized female wrestlers and vowed to have them ready for Origins.

Meanhwile, I read the rule book. The mechanics are perfectly fine, charming in fact. It's a fun game. The layout is hit and miss. The illustrations are low rent. But the worst? The fluff. Absolutely daft. It's so bad, it makes me question the entire game. That's rough.

Okay okay. Get past it, right? Right. I'll lose myself in the moment of game play. Carry on, and keep swinging my paint brush. As I prepped the models, I was getting more and more frustrated. They're resin, and fragile as hell. These are poor design decisions for a miniatures game that requires some serious pawn abuse. They're handled ALL THE TIME. Part of their fragility is that they meant to be glued to a clear plexi round base. I asked the dealers in March, "What about frosting?" They replied, "Just pin it!" That wasn't a great answer, but I took it. The problem with the female team I chose; they're wearing heels and there's no place to pin. So I used the smallest about of glue, and it frosted up. Badly. GOD DAMN IT.

So I go to the web store, considering replacement bases. They want ten bucks for ten poorly cut round bases. It reminds me, the dice in the core box are screen printed garbage. The engraved dice, which are nice, cost ten dollars. It's a worth while upgrade, as the set of screen printed dice I played with had already lost a lot of ink. But here's the rub; the content photo on the back of the core box show the engraved dice. WTF. I asked in March, and the reps said, "Yeah, it's unfortunate, but hey! The dice are only ten bucks!"

However, all of these complaints are minor compared to what really irked me. I went to their booth to look at some new wrestlers. I struck up a conversation with two reps. Out came my wrestlers, and it was time to show off. I was happy with my paint job! So I handed two miniatures to two employees. I was fishing for compliments, and I got them! One miniature was handed back. The other other miniature was handed back, broken. In less than one minute, the TTCombat employee had snapped my wrestler's ankle. Clean off. I handed him a singular piece. He handed me two pieces in return. "I'm really sorry," he said. I was confused. I took my miniature and set it back into it's foam. My buddies saw it, and together said "Awww. A little bit of glue will patch it right up!" They ushered me away as I was starting to get hot.

So I left the booth without resolution. As in; I wanted resolution. My buddies felt it was super lame, but repairable. The TTC guys apparently felt they were in the clear with an apology and us walking away. But I just got hotter and hotter. A few minutes later, I got a small distraction. Then another. Then another. A beer for lunch and I though I was over it. But now that I've typed this out, I'm not over it.

What kind of game publishing employee breaks a buyer's miniature and gets by with a "I'm sorry?" Apparently, the guy who broke mine. Because I let him pass. I could have handled it differently. I could have blown my top. My friends felt this was the direction it was headed, so they cut me off. I could (should) have had a mature conversation with the employee. I did not. Instead, I just walked away. In turn, I resisted buying anything else from TTCombat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, hotseatgames, sornars, Gregarius, marcnelsonjr, Hadik, BillyBobThwarton, Vysetron, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds