October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
25 Oct 2019 12:11 #302782 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: I keep resisting Undaunted...the rules look amazing and it fits right into my wheelhouse...EXCEPT I’d rather play a game about the history of denim than anything to do with WWII.

You say that, but I'm told that the Jorts expansion really opens things up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, dysjunct, Gregarius, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2019 12:12 #302783 by Michael Barnes
Right after I posted that I thought “you know what, I probably would actually really be into that”.

Josh, War Chest or Undaunted?

More
25 Oct 2019 12:37 #302791 by Josh Look
Shit, that’s a hard choice.

I was actually jumping on to the site to remind you that there’s also War Chest, but I still think one might lead to the other and vice versa.

Maybe try War Chest. It’s way more abstract, cleaner and I prefer not having scenarios. It’s a great game in its own right. I also think you’ll recognize that what some people consider a “flaw” (being stuck with one unit after the others of its type have been removed from the game) is an intentional limitation that improves the game when you’re playing with it in consideration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
25 Oct 2019 13:02 #302794 by Jackwraith
Totally War Chest, IMO. This is one of THE seriously underrated games from last year. Like Josh says, the design is clean, there's tremendous depth in it because it plays like an abstract, but still has more variable detail in the abilities of the units than your average abstract (i.e. the Light Cavalry don't just move diagonally like a Bishop in chess.) Plus, the production design is spectacular. Part of the visceral joy of playing is swapping those heavy coins in one hand like you're sitting at a poker table with chips. Has an expansion that was just released, too, if you find that you really enjoy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
25 Oct 2019 18:37 #302812 by quozl

Erik Twice wrote: I'm also on the fence regarding Civilization, the Tresham game. It's a game I want to own eventually but I'm not sure whether to find a cheap copy of the Spanish version, get the new edition despite the old-fashioned components and/or make my own copy.

Just get the cheap one. You're only going to play it a couple times a year, max.

More
25 Oct 2019 22:37 #302817 by Shellhead

Shellhead wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I gave into temptation and bought Coma Ward. It's essentially Betrayal at House Mental Institution on the Hill, with a worse rule book and the same insufficient playtesting. I managed to fight the urge to buy it the last time I was at the FFG Event Center, but then I saw it priced at 25% off and zero shipping on Amazon.

I also expect that I will succumb to the siren call of the new edition of Dune, even though I bought the original edition 8 years ago for a reasonable price. It's just so pretty, and still one of the best board games ever published.

I have been saved thanks to my first negative experience with Amazon. Coma Ward was supposed to arrive last Saturday. Then Sunday. Then Amazon notified me that the package might not get delivered. Finally, it became apparent that the package was accidentally damaged by the post office, and got shipped back to the sender. I got a refund. I could order again from the same seller, who still has a few copies of Coma Ward, but maybe this is a second chance for me to resist temptation.

In a time of weakness, I succumbed and bought Coma Ward. Played it for the first time recently, with an old friend who has now moved to a distant part of the U.S. The game does suffer from the expected Kickstarter weaknesses of overproduction and insufficiently playtested rules. At least they used standees and tokens instead of miniatures. The game is rich with atmosphere and potential, but the main dice-rolling mechanic causes players to fail a lot and the scenario we got wasn't well designed.

More
20 Jan 2020 12:46 - 20 Jan 2020 12:46 #306399 by dysjunct
OATH Kickstarter. It looks pretty cool but I haven't even played Root yet. At first the idea of skipping over the earlier iteration of Wehrle's ideas was attractive, but it's not like Root will stop being fun if a different take on it comes out. Plus, the fact that it will be readily available at retail means there's no pressure.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2020 12:46 by dysjunct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Frohike

More
20 Jan 2020 12:51 #306401 by Gary Sax
Oath looks more niche to my eye than Root, I think you're probably making a good decision to hold off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
20 Jan 2020 15:21 #306409 by southernman
After my glut of buys in the last quarter while sofa bound I was heard to say quite often 'not buying any games this year since I've got a lot of KSers arriving and a lot of games still to play' … resistance has been futile, Dungeon Degenerates just ordered tonight :pinch: - but I have sold five in the last month so punishment will be light.

More
20 Jan 2020 20:22 #306415 by Road Judge
I'm trying to resist getting Undaunted Normandy (and the next in the series) by getting a friend to buy them.:) One coming out that will most likely defeat my resistance when it goes retail, is 303 Squadron

More
21 Jan 2020 08:29 #306419 by the_jake_1973

Road Judge wrote: I'm trying to resist getting Undaunted Normandy (and the next in the series) by getting a friend to buy them.:) One coming out that will most likely defeat my resistance when it goes retail, is 303 Squadron

I was pretty taken in by 303 Squadron and backed it. I'm a sucker for the story of 303 and the Battle of Britain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Road Judge

More
27 Jan 2020 11:06 #306650 by Legomancer
The Rocketmen KS is up. Martin Wallace deckbuilder with a space race theme, which is all in my wheelhouse, but even the most basic tier is $50 shipped and I'm sure I can do better waiting for retail. Plus I don't care about the KS stuff: some plastic shit, metal coins, the usual stupid faff. So I'm holding out. Pretty sure it'll make without me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Frohike, BillyBobThwarton

More
27 Jan 2020 11:11 #306651 by Gary Sax
iirc, Wallace has had problems in the past with successful preorder fulfillment so that's another reason to wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
27 Jan 2020 11:20 #306652 by Rliyen
Trying to resist Return to Dark Tower, but may succumb before the KS finishes.

I just got my pledge from SJG Microgames from the 80s. My wife got the box and asked on Friday, "You got a big box of crap. What's all this?"

I told her what it was and she was fine with it. When I went through the box on Saturday, I felt like I was 14 all over again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Road Judge

More
27 Jan 2020 11:38 - 27 Jan 2020 11:47 #306654 by Sagrilarus

Legomancer wrote: The Rocketmen KS is up. Martin Wallace deckbuilder with a space race theme, which is all in my wheelhouse, but even the most basic tier is $50 shipped and I'm sure I can do better waiting for retail. Plus I don't care about the KS stuff: some plastic shit, metal coins, the usual stupid faff. So I'm holding out. Pretty sure it'll make without me.

Speaking of rockets, I'm currently resisting getting the expansion for Leaving Earth, because I only have one play in of the base game. I really enjoyed it (my biggest hit in a year) but the expansion is $40 and it may be that the base game has plenty for me, given that it may only come out once or twice a year. The expansion was hard to get, but it appears the new printing has become available again.

I looked at Rocketmen earlier, opted to wait until I see it in real life. Wallace and Kickstarter is like alcohol and firearms. What could possibly go wrong?
Last edit: 27 Jan 2020 11:47 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds