Site Tools

Submissions

About

Review Detail

History of the World
Board Games 2947
(Updated: April 30, 2019)
Rating 

(2018 edition) I've played History of the World several times before. I've also played A Brief History of the World. But this new edition is different enough from both to warrant inclusion.

Much of the basic gameplay is the same: choosing empires, placing armies, swarming, scoring, then retiring. But some of the changes from Brief have been introduced and some new changes have been added.

There are only five eras now, fewer territories, and fewer armies. There's an absurd "catapult" component that exists just to give you bonuses on failed but continuing attacks. Caravans are like fleets, except for inaccessible areas. An interesting minor tweak to the scoring is included.

I don't remember enough about Brief History, but I remember feeling that it didn't quite measure up. If I wanted to play HOTW I wanted to play HOTW and if I wanted to play something shorter, I'd just play something else. I didn't get that feeling with this.

There's a lot of competition in this arena now, but a lot of it is caught in the "more is more" design bloat. There's definitely room for this in the mix, though. It's much more streamlined than a lot of other stuff, while still delivering a fun experience.
Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account